Tried this amazing recipe from the arsinal of http://www.grazedandenthused.com
It is a homemade AIP Paleo Chicken Pesto Pizza. Loaded with Pesto, shredded chicken, olive bar olives, roasted artichokes and Truffle Sea salt. It was so simple to go to a local store with a great variety of natural and organic and specialty foods to get the ingrediants I did not already have on hand. You can find the recipe here Chicken Pesto Pizza and I made it in less than an hour including the flat bread crust. It was amazing and I’m so glad I found it, since I’ve been on the AIP its been difficult to watch others eat typical weekend dinners like pizza and such. Not that I have a problem with eating steak and Salmon or grilled chicken instead of Pizza, but sometimes you just want Pizza! So I found an option. And I gotta say its better than most normal pizzas its more flavorful and rich. The crust is delicious and slightly doughy and still crispy on the outside.
In an effort to heal my gut and help me with digestion during this process of healing. I have been trying lots of probiotic foods and drinks like this. I have found that Humm kombucha is so far my favorite for fruity flavored kombucha, because I really cant stand the taste of regular kombucha. But I decided to try this one while I was shopping at my local Natural Grocers, and I liked it. I figured if I sipped it while I walked and I didnt like it, it was a less then 3dollar cost to give it a go. But I REALLY liked it! So I bought five more. It gave me a little treat because it tasted like my dad’s homemade rootbeer, and yet I know that it had the benefits of the probiotic, organic, gluten free (soda). So glad I took the chance to try it. It was a treat.
My favorite tea
My new star tea infuser caddy
Full of antioxidants, flavonoids, and my morning wake up call. Although I like to drink it all day long.
So I’ve been gone a while and I want to explain… since I last wrote we’ve moved, the kids are in school and I have gone back to school for my MBA. So needless to say I’ve been limited for time, due to school work. However, I had a clear answer to prayer while crying out to God on my knees for an hour….a couple of months ago. I asked him among other things what he wants me to do with my talents and ambition. he said “multiply your talents” the following day I received a call back from one of about 10 schools I was looking into for my plans to go back in two years and after he told me to do it now, I was both caught off guard but pleased because it was going to speed up my journey. So here I am on Christmas break after two and half months back into school, sitting at he local indoor trampoline park with the kids. I thought it would be the perfect time to update. This may mean I am not as active however I will still be updating my health journey.
After evaluation and trying out the calorie restriction part of my plan, I’ve decided that I had more success with the South Beach modified diet using a higher fat intake for ketosis to help my insulin resistance. In addition to modifying SB by increasing fat, I am also using a GlutenFree SouthBeach cookbook. After reading Isabella Wentz article concerning how to loose weight with Hashimotos and a couple of other hashimotos books and articles, I felt that it was probably best not to cut calories as it may exhaust my thyroid instead of encourage healthy thyroid hormone balance. I am also going to go back to my doc and ask to run my blood again to see what my thyroid and hormone levels are to see if we can find a different thyroid medicine to try as I have not seen any improvement since I’ve been on the thyroid medicine.
So, the steps I have taken thus far to deal with my hashimotos and surrounding symptoms. As mentioned in my previous post I was put on thyroid replacement and my thyroid ultrasound result was sent to a diabetes and endocrinology clinic where the hashimotos was confirmed. Unfortunately while I was searching for answers I came across many others who had similar experience with their doctors and even the specialists. They were told that the Synthroid (thyroid replacement med) was the answer and that the thyroid would just get eaten and then should the symptoms change they will re-evaluate the treatment should thyroid levels change. So as you might imagine when I heard this very typical answer from the specialist I went to, I was very disappointed. Not only did the doc not seem too worried about the hashimotos, but he also told me the symptoms were not connected. But I knew they were. Since the research I had done confirmed my suspicion that my symptoms were related it also prepared me a little for what I would experience when I went to see the doc and he was not so motivated to help me. Honestly the only good thing that came out of the appointment was that I found out I was insulin resistant, which I also found out is common among hashimotos patients. So basically he told me that was what I needed to address and put me on Metformin, and told me to diet and exercise.
My new symptoms:
- Hair loss
- Abnormally dry skin
- Indigestion & acid reflux
- constipation (prior to first step to healing)
- Plantar Faciitus
Previously noted symptoms:
- Hormone imbalance (low testosterone)
- Non existent libido
- Unexplained weight gain
- Skin problems (acne)
- Vasculitous (on my shins)
- Emotional instability
- So I’ve since then gone to a rheumatologist for my Vasculitus who told me to keep working on anti-inflammatory lifestyle I told him I am implementing.
I’ve also seen a new holistic doctor and she has recommended some natural medicinals and I am also working with a nutritionist at her office for moral and motivational support through my diet and exercise.
Above is a picture of the map of cause and symptoms created by Dr. Wentz, which helps to target root cause and treat. The first steps I’ve taken toward healing, to address symptoms and multi-system attack at all angles:
- Removing gluten from my diet completely to test intolerance(this has virtually reduced all symptoms of constipation and almost all indigestion issues)
- Due to the insulin resistance I was instructed to Increase fat intake for a ketogenic effect and using 310 nutrition meal replacement when I do not have time or need a quick easy meal, as well as metabolic exercise using alternating large muscle group weight lifting. This is an effort to get my insulin resistance under control and with the Metformin use I hope to continue steady weight loss with out rebound. So far I’ve been successful in loosing weight in the past month and two weeks since focusing everyday on my diet and exercise.
- Taking a custom tincture containing the following:
- Ribes – Blackfoot Indians used blackcurrant root (Ribes hudsonianum) for the treatment of kidney diseases and menstrual and menopausal problems. Currant root and seeds are high in gamma-Linolenic acid (GLA). GLA has been clinically verified as an effective treatment for pre-menstrual syndrome.
- Rosa – for addressing a number of mental and emotional ailments
- Birch – for infections of the urinary tract and kidney, as well as hair loss, joint pain
- Tilia – for digestive help and inflammatory and antioxidant support
- Goji – for antioxidants
- Ginger – for digestive and anti-inflammatory properties
- Petitgrain – for acne, fatigue, and stress
- Lavender – for anxiety, and neurological health
- Taking Norwegian Kelp supplement for iodine supplement for thyroid function
- I began taking a ultra Adrenal complex, which almost immediately gave me a boost in energy.
- Increasing use of digestive enzymes to facilitate better nutrient absorption
- Within the last week I’ve begun taking CBD oil (Cannabidiol) with these medical properties and effects of those properties. My main goal in using it is for the whole body anti-inflammatory effects as many of my symptoms are a result of widespread inflammation. It has also been found to be helpful for those with auto-immune diseases like mine.
||Reduces nausea and vomiting
||Suppresses seizure activity
||Combats psychosis disorders
||Combats inflammatory disorders
||Combats neurodegenerative disorders
||Combats tumor and cancer cells
||Combats anxiety and depression disorders
Disclaimer Note: Cannabidiol is non psychotropic and does not have THC which is the chemical that produces the “high” experienced from smoking Cannabis.
So far I am noticing some positive results. I am seeing some changes in my body as well as generally feeling better on a day to day. I have seen some great results with my dietary changes, however I still need to test more foods that I suspect may be causing some problems because of sensitivity. Thanking God and Prayer for healing and knowledge of the answers to my healing and understanding are still the number one method of seeking answers and healing. Praise God in these times of trial.
Shabbat Shalom beloved
First we have GF caramel cinnamon buns, made with grassfed butter, cultured dairy for kindness to my gut.
Summer grill lunch
GF homemade hamburger bun
GF Grass fed beef burger
GF Stubbs BBQ sauce, Olive oil mayo, Mustard
Traditional German fermented sauerkraut (Extra treat for my gut&thyroid)
Avacado & lettuce
GF Tim’s cascade style kettle cooked potato chips (anti-inflammatory treat for my thyroid)
Working on reducing traditional baked goods. My son is a carbaholic. So we made gluten free donuts. #momsplaceglutenfreellc
Love this new gadget from Calia by Carrie underwood chamber in the bottom is for the infusion and the screw top on and take off lid and fill with water. The filter alows the water to move between the two chambers and become more flavorful with every drink. This time I used a kiwi and a squeezed lime.